Wednesday 18 May 2011

Wednesday - Day 6

Total distance: 82.35 miles; total ascent 3638 feet; Ave Speed 10.5mph; Maximum speed 32.4mph; total time in saddle 7 hours 50 minutes.

We made an effort to leave a little earlier this morning and were breakfasted and on the road by 9.15. (A little later than planned as we had to take some emergency measures to get the 19th century toilet in our room tio flush).

We both slept well, although I seem to continually awake with a sinus related headache and have suffered all day today with a bad taste in the back of my mouth - I suspect this because I am obverdosing on the Otrivine nasal spray I am using like water right now.

We have changed our diets. Well not dramatically you understand - I have not become a fruitarian overnight, nor has Russ decided he can only eat raw fish. No we have just become aware that meat is probably more difficult to digest and therefore releasing the all important energy is not happening as quickly as we would like. Instead it tends to slumber and makes the 'graveyard' after lunch shift noticeably more tough.

As a result breakfast now tends to consist of Muesli and beans on toast, rather than hulking fry ups. Furthermore we are avoiding meat for lunch and today thanks to Tesco in Ellesmere, we both ate pasta salads (which DID actually come with a fork, so the entire plastic cutlery set I bought was rendered useless almost immediately).

I think meat in the evening is to be recommended though - hoorah for my ribeye steak tonight which was actually tremendous!

The day itself was very business like in it's progress. The early start meant by the time we rolled into Tescos we'd done 38 miles which was good. We had intermittent rain this morning. Much to my amusement, Russ was getting more and more frustrated by having to change in and out of his water-proof paraphernalia. It was heavy rain, just a couple of showers, but enough to be noticeable and for me to prey that the Ortleib panniers I bought on the recommendation of our friends at Thorn were going to be up to the job. Amongst everything else I have my £1300 work Macbook Air to think about and water in that fecker does not figure on the LeJoG agenda at any point.

Countryside was nice, in so much it is nice not to be in a town or city, but certainly this morning nowhere near as uplifting as yesterday. This afternoon was better as we passed through Manchester United footballers home territory to the east of Chester.

One highlight of the day was a early on. The downhill run into Minsterley on the A488 went on for about 3 miles and was hugely exhilarating - I think Imust have averaged 25mphon that stretch. It also helped to ensure the early average speed stats were the right side of 10mph - very physiologically important to the long distance biker rider!

The day ended in Runcorn, which, as Russ said is a town with no point. However, in it's favour is yet again a tremendous network of cycle routes and once more I have to proclaim my love for these things. The liberation of navigating seamlessly through large towns and cities without having to concern one's self with roundabouts, junctions, lorries and bicycle hating drivers is just wonderful. And there's a lot more of this tomorrow as we tackle Widnes, Preston and Lancaster.

Runcorn was not our planned stopping place. But the only place with rooms available was at a Camanile Hotel chain. Think of it as a sort of Premier Inn but for tradesmen and football supporters. It's the only 'hotel' I've ever stayed at where everything in the room is bolted down and there are two, yes two lockable doors that need to be opened to gain entry. Needless to say the bikes are sleeping with us tonight.

Russ has started to gently snore behind me, so it's about time I quit the blog and in anycase, with only one plug socket in the room, I need to juggle our multitude of electronic GPS orientated gadgetry.

Continental breakfast (£4) at seven and then a swift getaway. My legs will be turning more quickly than usual first thing tomorrow in my quest to get back to fresh air and green canvass.

No comments:

Post a Comment