Sunday 22 May 2011

Day 10 - The Weather Closes In

Thornhill to Largs

Total distance: 74.53 miles; total ascent 2785 feet; Ave Speed 9.4mph; Maximum speed 32.8.mph; total time in saddle 7 hours 58 minutes.


As agreed with our hyper-efficient German guest house proprietors, we rose at 7.15 for breakfast at 7.30 sharp. I need to say that the breakfast we were served was nothing sort of exquisite. Pure white crockery, set to precision placing, everything, including cereal, served to us and the most delightful and wonderfully cooked Scottish breakfast, with excellent haggis, all presented with military proficiency. No greater example of German efficiently can be found anywhere I’ll wager.

We sat at a table by a large bay window, from where we watched the rain lashing down against a dark and foreboding sky. We both sensed today would probably present our biggest challenge to date. We had reviewed the route last night and decided to take the more direct A road approach today and speculated that being a Sunday, the A76 would be quiet.

We left the Guest house around 8.20 and first off paid a visit to the local Co-Op to stock up on rations for the day. Upon hearing of our challenge and the charity we had chosen to be sponsored for, I was given £10 by one of the check out girls.

We set off in heavy rain and started our 35-mile plus navigation of the A78. It was indeed quiet to start with, most Scots enjoying a Sunday lie in no doubt, but as the rain continued, the traffic got heavier and worst of all the wind got stronger and stronger. We both knew today would be a no nonsense, head down kinda run and indeed this is how it turned out. We just needed to crunch the miles and get on with it. The wind was cruel though. We are both very tired tonight and although ascent wise today was not substantial at all, we had to pedal all day non stop to counteract the driving wind which didn’t relent and chose to face us head on throughout.

Sanguhar, Kirkconnel, Cumnock came and went until eventually after what seemed like hours (it was) we reached Mauchine and veered off left onto kinder, less frighteningly busy roads. By now the weather had changed from completely overcast to sunshine then showers which was more of a relief, although the driving wind continued unabated. I was very glad I had purchased a new waterproof (with hood that fits perfectly under my helmet), along with waterproof over shoes. I’m also pleased to report that the panniers are, so far totally waterproof. Wet gear at the end of the day (let alone a wet laptop) would not have made Giles happy at all.

We finally made the closely linked towns of Troon, Irvine, Stevenson and the rather depressingly named Saltcoats and thanks to well-made and signposted cycle paths, navigated through this potential maze with ease. Finally, and once again the last stretch of the day was the best - a costal run up the A78 following the adjacent cycle path to Largs. The early evening sunshine, intermingled with heavy black clouds made for interesting light and Arran and Bute looked particularly beautiful as we inched our way to the Guest House Ally had arranged for us. We think it’s a knocking shop in disguise, but can’t be certain.

So after 10 days and 730 miles (it’s amazing to think we only have c350 more to go) how am I bearing up? Well my backside is a little better although arse cream has to be applied liberally to the padding of my shorts in the morning with a least one further dressing to keep matters under control. Inevitably cracking skin that I suffer with anyway has attacked the end of my right index finger and is proving painful and difficult to keep under control. My neck gets a little stiff after a few hours without a break, but by and large I’ve surprised myself with how well I’ve coped physically. Mentally, it’s getting harder and harder to separate the days. I had to force myself to think very hard today of exactly where we have stayed and in what accommodation since we started. It’s almost inconceivable that a week ago today we completed a 90+ mile run which included our run over Exmoor. Have we really been going this long?

Russ was too tired to go out and eat tonight, so I volunteered to go and get some stuff in, which included a trip to Tesco Metro and the nearby Kebab house (which I’m regretting already). After we had eaten we began to look ahead and it’s quite exciting now to begin to see the end in site. The weather will be our biggest challenge though I think, with the next two days forecasting very heavy rain and winds that warrant a weather warning. But at least we are now asking Ally to think about booking a few days ahead and it’s looking more and more likely that we will make JoG on Saturday ☺

As the accommodation we wanted in Inverary is fully booked we will push on to Dalmally a further 15 miles or so up the road (we have to make this, there’s nothing in between), which means another 70 odd miles tomorrow and at least 4500 feet in climbing. We have to make good progress as the only restaurant in Dalmally apparently closes at 9pm. Here’s hoping the weather won’t be too unkind.

Off to bed now, Last night I had my usual reoccurring dream about seeing an airplane crash and a more bizarre one in which David Cameron advisors told me he would be taking in own life in order to boost his popularity ratings (!!??!!). Tonight I don’t think I’ll dream, I’m too tired – I might even sleep right through Russ’s snoring..

No comments:

Post a Comment